3 replies to this topic

#1 Vicious Parker

Vicious Parker

Miyamoto Puppet

• As Seen From Space
  • 5,715 posts
  • Interests:Crayons

Posted 02 January 2017 - 08:06 AM

It's now 2017 and since we've all had the chance to play video games in 2016, it's time to do what everybody intertubes website does and make a list of all of the video games of 2016 that we think are the #1's. As per usual when I make this topic, you can define your list however you want to. Did you play a game, any game, in 2016? It can go on the list, no matter when it was released, what system it was for, or what kind of game it was. If it was a defining experience for you, it's a #1. Don't forget that for as short as a year feels when it's over, they're surprisingly long where media releases are concerned, so give some love to those games you played earlier in the year.

Here are my #1's:

Best use of Dog

Undertale

Undertale is popular with a lot of people for a lot of reasons, and I know I'm late to the game on this one, but I finally got around to playing through the game in April of last year. I didn't have the visceral response that a lot of people on the nets have had, but I did enjoy it, and I think it's adorable through and through. I've just never been very good at bullet hell games, and Undertale is no exception. It was so bad that after trying for hours to beat the last boss, I gave up and watched my predicted ending on Youtube. That said, Undertale has the best use of a dog I've ever seen in a game. Here's a spoiler free picture of the moment I'm talking about:

underdog.gif

Perfect.

Honorable Mention

Fallout 4

Though most of my playtime was in 2015, most of my dog related play time was this year, and it was ok. I guess.

Best Space Game With Attitude

Rebel Galaxy

Space Sims are making a bit of a resurgence in recent years, and most of them are pretty crap. Rebel Galaxy isn't the cure for that, but it is at least pretty fun for 10-20 hours or so until it turns in to an unfortunate slog. That said, those 10-20 hours are really great, and the game is inexpensive, so it all evens out in the end. What Rebel Galaxy does better than most games is making you feel like a bad ass space trucker. Where most space games are loaded with 80s synth and ambient music galore, Rebel Galaxy rocks hard. Turn on your warp drive, start rocking out, and never stop.

https://youtu.be/9ID...t=RDIBAYW0WGKtE

Dishonorable Mention

No Man's Sky

You know what you did.

Not with a bang but a whimper

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West

In this category I'm recognizing a game that has an ending so bad that it retroactively made me hate the entire experience. Yes, this game is 6 years old, but I finally played it last year. It's a shame, because the game starts out with such promise. Excellent animation and well acted characters bring you in to the game, but you stay for the lush, green post-apocalypse New York City. Then about half way through you meet an awful character who won't go away, then you reach one of most mind mindbogglingly bad endings I think I've ever seen in anything. Then you realize that the game had some pretty gross themes all the way through and you hate everything. Oh yeah, and then there's the one and only pre-order bonus (included for free in the PC version, which I played):

Sexy_Robot_Trip.jpg

Honorable Mention

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

I really liked this game overall, and I don't mind that the game didn't answer every last question that it asked, but, this game just kind of... ends? There's an overly long voice over by my least liked character that tells you all about your adventures and it's pretty cringe worthy. Didn't stop me from playing the game through a second time, though.

I wish I knew how to quit you

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition

Seems I'm going to be using this Brokeback Mountain reference to describe my feelings about Skyrim until the end of time. Not even Bethesda's (the parent company, not the developer) rather disgusting attitudes toward review copies and their never ending lawsuits have made me lose interest in playing Skyrim.

Honorable Mention

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind and The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion

Even though I have more or less moved on with these games, especially compared to Skyrim, I still booted them up and gave them a hearty play through this year. Damn you Elder Scrolls. Damn you to Oblivion.

Legend of Zelda Award for Being The Legend of Zelda

Because I am OMG hyped for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, I decided to replay as many Zelda games as I could last year, and I have mostly succeeded. Thanks to my handy New 3DS, I was able to portably play the first 6 Zelda games, pass on the 7th and 8th, and enjoy the most recent release in the series (A Link Between Worlds). I also put our Wii U to good use by playing The Winder Waker HD. This whole experience really did remind me of what it is I love about these games, especially A Link to the Past and Majora's Mask. Though this spanned 7 games so far, it was easily my most favorite gaming experience of the year as a whole.

Honorable Mention

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild trailers

E3 2016 trailerLife in Ruins trailer

hnnnnngggggggggg

Game of the Year

XCOM 2

Sadly, probably not a game that's going to top too many GOTY lists. That's not a bad thing, really, since there's a lot of good competition this year. But I loved this game. I played through it like 6 times, and that was before any of the expanded content was released. It's an excellent sequel to a game that was already excellent, and it improves on the original in every way. I don't have a lot else to say about it other than that I loved it to bits.

Honorable Mention

Dishonored 2

Dishonored 2 is a great game. Like XCOM 2, it improves on the predecessor in almost every way (while oddly still featuring some of the first games narrative shortcomings, but oh well). Had circumstances been different, this might have actually been my GOTY. However, at launch, this game was virtually unplayable on my not really that old hardware. I had 5-10 minute wait times whenever I loaded a new level or save game (and I have an SSD, so this is crazy), and even on the lowest settings I was barely getting 30 FPS gameplay. For a game that's partially about finesse and quick movement, this really didn't work. The patches put out helped tremendously, and allowed me to play through and enjoy the game, but this was unfortunately after my interest had started to wane. I'll have to give it another go eventually, and we'll see how I feel about it then. I guess I really do care, because this blurb is about twice as long as what I wrote for my actual GOTY.

The universe is a cruel, uncaring void. The key to being happy isn't a search for meaning. It's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually, you'll be dead.

-Mr. Peanutbutter

#2 Stars

Stars

Pooka

• Sex Bob-omb
  • 14,195 posts
  • Interests:Various nerdy things.

Posted 02 January 2017 - 09:02 AM

Legend of Zelda Happiness

A Link Between Worlds

I don't know why I waited so long to play this game, but I'm glad I finally did. It reminded me a lot of A Link to the Past (being a sequel and all), which is never a bad thing, but it also did its own thing enough to keep the experience fresh for me. Thinking back, I can't remember anything I didn't like about it, barring an entirely optional mini-game or two. Just an all around delightful experience that got me on a Legend of Zelda kick for several games.

Honorable Mention

Link's Awakening DX

Immediately after finishing A Link Between Worlds, I moved on to this gem. It's not my #1 favorite Zelda game, but I can understand why it is for a number of people. This is a quintessential Zelda experience, and it was a treat to revisit after so many years.

Dishonorable Mention

Skyward Sword

I want to like this game, and I do appreciate a lot of what it does, but I just...can't. I played it when it first came out and got about half way through before it lost me. After getting back into the franchise super hard, I came back to try again from the beginning, but I made even less progress this time. This is the first Zelda game since the NES titles that I have started and not finished. I don't even hate it, it just makes me sad.

The Straw That Broke My Back

Final Fantasy III DS

Near the end of 2015 I started my Final Fantasy marathon challenge, wherein I aimed to complete the first six mainline games within a year. Final Fantasy III brought that to a screeching halt early on in 2016. Oddly enough, I'm actually rather ambivalent about the thing that killed my desire to keep going. I love the idea of using status spells to navigate parts of the world (Mini to traverse a tiny dungeon, Toad to swim through a water-filled tunnel), but then they kept doing the Mini dungeons over and over, and I hated having my party's jobs restricted every time it happened.

The Devil That Made Me Do It

Odin Sphere Leifthrasir

I finally got a Playstation 4, you guys. For years I've been saying I would get one "eventually" and that I was waiting for a game that I just couldn't resist. I did not expect that game to be a remake of a PS2 game that I had previously beaten to 100% completion. Everything about this game makes me happy, the visuals (obviously, since it's a Vanillaware title, now in HD), the music, the additions and improvements to the original gameplay. I never was able to figure out if they made it easier or I'm just better at it than I was years ago though, because a lot of bosses that I specifically remember kicking my ass posed little to no challenge at all. Even so, it was a nostalgic ride, and it provided me with my first PS4 platinum trophy.

Honorable Mention

inFamous: Second Son

I actually bought this game years before I got my PS4, just because I knew I'd be able to play it "eventually." I thoroughly enjoyed the first two inFamous games on the PS3, and I was very much looking forward to this one. It lacked some of the je ne sais quoi of its predecessors, but I still had a good time with it.

* * * Stars' Final Fantasy Challenge * * *

Final Fantasy I - Completion Time 14:11

Final Fantasy II - Completion Time 27:03

Final Fantasy III - Play Time 07:24

Crystal%20Wind_zpshlz3by6a.pngCrystal%20Fire_zpssinpfehw.pngCrystal%20Blank_zpsoxsz1okf.pngCrystal%20Blank_zpsoxsz1okf.png

Final Fantasy IV - Play Time 04:01

Crystal%20Blank_zpsoxsz1okf.pngCrystal%20Blank_zpsoxsz1okf.pngCrystal%20Blank_zpsoxsz1okf.pngCrystal%20Blank_zpsoxsz1okf.png

Final Fantasy V

Final Fantasy VI

#3 Vicious Parker

Vicious Parker

Miyamoto Puppet

• As Seen From Space
  • 5,715 posts
  • Interests:Crayons

Posted 02 January 2017 - 09:15 AM

I just noticed I missed the chance to use the pun "(Dis)Honorable Mention" for my last entry :/: .

I'm sorry I've failed you all.

The universe is a cruel, uncaring void. The key to being happy isn't a search for meaning. It's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually, you'll be dead.

-Mr. Peanutbutter

#4 kspr

kspr

wizard astronaut

• Speedway Squad
  • 7,415 posts
  • Interests:pin the tail on the elderly

Posted 06 April 2017 - 06:48 AM

Legend of Zelda, 2016's 2014 March Madness winner three years running!

you awaken in the intestinal tract of satan. you must defeat the hydra to escape. your only weapon is righteous anger. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users