#101 kspr

kspr

wizard astronaut

• Speedway Squad
  • 7,415 posts
  • Interests:pin the tail on the elderly

Posted 25 June 2016 - 06:24 AM

i played this game called Jenga the other night. Whoa was it intense O_O

you awaken in the intestinal tract of satan. you must defeat the hydra to escape. your only weapon is righteous anger. 

#102 Stars

Stars

Pooka

• Sex Bob-omb
  • 14,195 posts
  • Interests:Various nerdy things.

Posted 25 June 2016 - 07:59 AM

A lot of board/card games happened this week.

Backgammon was a given since Kamau and I were both present, and a few other people were curious about it. Rose came up with her own version which she attempted to teach her daddy to the amusement of all.

Khet is still a tricky little booger. I mostly played that one with Tony, and once he got the hang of it, I went from mostly winning to mostly losing. xp

Starfarers of Catan is the last of my games that we played. Monkey had played Settlers before, but no one else at the table had played any version of Catan. The consensus seemed to be that it felt complicated at first but was easy enough to get the hang of. Also that it's long. I hadn't played it in ages, so it was fun even though I tied for last.

Code Names was a fun word-based party game. Two codemasters had to get their respective teams to say given words before the other team got all of theirs. Kind of like Taboo except with no time limit, and you can only give a single one-word clue each turn to get your team to say as many of the words as you can.

Shadow Hunters was one of many games Monkey brought to the Con. Everyone had a secret role - shadow, hunter, or neutral - with the first two sides each trying to ferret out and kill the other, and the neutrals each having their own secret goals for winning. That one was a lot of fun.

Saboteur was an interesting card-based map building game in which most of the players are gold miners trying to navigate from one side of the playing area over to some mineral deposits, with a couple of other players secretly trying to sabotage them. Toys is totally not a saboteur, you guys.

Story War was attempted, and we had a large enough group playing that we did it in teams. There was an awful lot of arguing and yelling going on, so we only played one round. We'll probably try it in smaller groups if the game comes to the next MPC.

Hanabi is a cooperative card game in which everyone except you knows what cards you have in your hand. You have to give each other clues in order to play as much of a Solitaire-esque sequence of fireworks as you can before time runs out. You don't really "lose" the game if you don't complete it, but you get a better "audience reaction" as you progress.

Game of Thrones feels to me like a mix of Axis & Allies and Diplomacy. Which is to say it took a while to explain, set up, and play. I screwed myself over somewhat early on, so my goal became "survive the game." Xteven kept trying to argue points of the game based on Lore from the show, but half the people playing, myself included, had little to no idea what he was taking about.

Pandemic was refreshingly cooperative and lacked the secretive mischief found in many of Monkey's games. We played it twice and thought we were doing pretty good, but the heart of the cards was having none of it. Our second attempt in particular, we were doing exceptionally well and lost exceptionally hard.

Bang (The Walking Dead edition) was one that Xteven brought. It's apparently very similar to regular Bang, except that if a player is killed, they come back as a walker. Both of my teammates (whom I didn't know were my teammates at the start) died early on, so my efforts to win the game as an alive person didn't get me far. I soon joined the ranks of the walkers, though, and we managed to take the win as not-alive people instead.

The Game of Things, courtesy of Kamau, is vaguely similar to Balderdash, but instead of everyone trying to guess the one correct answer, we had to figure out who wrote each individual response to an open-ended prompt. In the course of playing this game, we determined that Trump is not a thing that would contribute to world peace.

Go Fish is a thing.

Other games were played, but I either forgot about them or was not a participant.

EDIT: Mice & Mystics didn't happen, but Monkey let me borrow it until the next MPC, so I'll see what I can do with that~

* * * Stars' Final Fantasy Challenge * * *

Final Fantasy I - Completion Time 14:11

Final Fantasy II - Completion Time 27:03

Final Fantasy III - Play Time 07:24

Crystal%20Wind_zpshlz3by6a.pngCrystal%20Fire_zpssinpfehw.pngCrystal%20Blank_zpsoxsz1okf.pngCrystal%20Blank_zpsoxsz1okf.png

Final Fantasy IV - Play Time 04:01

Crystal%20Blank_zpsoxsz1okf.pngCrystal%20Blank_zpsoxsz1okf.pngCrystal%20Blank_zpsoxsz1okf.pngCrystal%20Blank_zpsoxsz1okf.png

Final Fantasy V

Final Fantasy VI

#103 Kamau

Kamau

Dubya

• Chaos Follower
  • 4,296 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 05:45 PM

Toys is totally not a saboteur, you guys.

I have so many new games to buy now... 

#104 lazlo falconi

lazlo falconi

Knows Nothing

• YATTAMAN!!
  • 4,634 posts
  • Interests:Presidency.

Posted 27 June 2016 - 08:41 PM

I played Innovation with Xteven on Saturday. I've played it a few times with John, and it's been fun every time. For those of you who haven't noticed though, watch out for Xteven with card games. He is a master of strategy and he has Yugioh levels of luck in his draws.

samussig_zpsf75ec25d.png

Or, to put it more politely, "Neener neener."

-all my friends that came with are drinking out in the car
--forever alone
+\- joke's on them i'm too drunk to drive

#105 kspr

kspr

wizard astronaut

• Speedway Squad
  • 7,415 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 05:49 PM

i got to test portal tower dungeon express finally. it almost works! 

you awaken in the intestinal tract of satan. you must defeat the hydra to escape. your only weapon is righteous anger. 

#106 Stars

Stars

Pooka

• Sex Bob-omb
  • 14,195 posts
  • Interests:Various nerdy things.

Posted 28 June 2016 - 06:03 PM

Huzzah! About how long did it take you to get through a game of it?

* * * Stars' Final Fantasy Challenge * * *

Final Fantasy I - Completion Time 14:11

Final Fantasy II - Completion Time 27:03

Final Fantasy III - Play Time 07:24

Crystal%20Wind_zpshlz3by6a.pngCrystal%20Fire_zpssinpfehw.pngCrystal%20Blank_zpsoxsz1okf.pngCrystal%20Blank_zpsoxsz1okf.png

Final Fantasy IV - Play Time 04:01

Crystal%20Blank_zpsoxsz1okf.pngCrystal%20Blank_zpsoxsz1okf.pngCrystal%20Blank_zpsoxsz1okf.pngCrystal%20Blank_zpsoxsz1okf.png

Final Fantasy V

Final Fantasy VI

#107 kspr

kspr

wizard astronaut

• Speedway Squad
  • 7,415 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 09:14 AM

an hour for both games. the first one we gave up on because it was going to stalemate, the second one i legitimately lost. 

#108 Maelstrom

Maelstrom

Fears, slain.

• Members
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 12:43 AM

recently played:

Orleans

Viticulture

and another one that I can't remember

I definitely recommend Orleans

I've played Dead of Winter twice. Objectives and stuff are all stacked against the players so it's difficult for any group to win, much less try to get individual win objectives done on top of that. If you play it, try it out a couple times and then tweak it with house rules or removing certain things for better balance.

43161_s.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users